Friday, November 16, 2012

Just another day

Today I was just getting over a stomach bug. My day was slow and tiresome. I took a nap in the middle of the day. When I woke up I went straight to my couch to watch tv and see what was new on the web. About two minutes later, I hear an alarm. After a few seconds I realize it is the Red Alert alarm. I automatically think back to when I first heard the Red Alert alarm in Beer Sheva, when I was volunteering for the army. But this was different. It was going off in MY city, where is hasn't gone off since the Gulf War in 1991. For those of you who are not familiar with Tel Aviv, it is like the Manhattan of Israel; young, hip and expensive. It doesn't get targeted much during wars but that was about to change.

After I realized it was the alarm to warn us that a rocket has been launched in the area, I put down my computer in panic. I ran to the door and unlocked the door. Once I locked my door, I realized I didn't have my cell phone on me and started to wonder if that was a mistake. I didn't know for how long I will be out of there. 

I didn't know where our bomb shelter was in the building so I asked the woman calming walking down the stairs, while reading something on her cell phone, "Where is the bomb shelter?" "She responded "What" in hebrew a few times before realizing I was speaking English. In my panic, I didn't have time to think of how to say it in Hebrew. Right before I got frustrated at this woman - either because she was so calm or not responsive -  the neighbor across the hall came out, quickly locked her door, and carried her two year old son and her four year old son is walking alongside her, both kids in pajamas. Around this time, it was around 7 PM. 

In a rush, we all went to the floor under and waited in the stairway since our building is too old to have a bomb shelter. I could see the fear in the mother and the four year olds eyes. The two year old was sitting on the stairs playing with his mom's iPhone, oblivious to what was going on. After a minute, the older brother started jumping around and his mother told him to stop in Hebrew, that it is dangerous. After chatting for a few minutes we went back to our own places. Shocked to see my things in order, I went immediately to my phone to check that my friends and family are okay. Everyone is fine. Three rockets hit surrounding towns of Tel Aviv and there are no reported injuries as of yet. 

It is the first time that Gaza militants have developed rockets with the ability to reach Tel Aviv, located only about 70 km (50 miles) north of Gaza strip. Just to give you an idea of how serious the Israeli government is about rockets hitting Tel Aviv, the following is a quote from a Jerusalem Post article; "...a strike on Tel Aviv itself, Israel's commercial and cultural capital, would mark a significant escalation." 


An update of 274 rockets have landed in Israel since yesterday. Today is the second day of the war Operation Pillar of Defense. Yesterday the Israeli Defense Forces killed the head of Hamas' militant wing in Gaza, Ahmed Jaabari, who has been a threat to Israeli civilians since 1998. Israel's Shin Bet also destroyed dozens of rocket launchers. Israel made special efforts to destroy launchers for Hamas' Iranian-made "Fajr" rockets, which are believed capable of flying even deeper into Israel. Hamas says that the killing of their leader will "open the gates of Hell" for Israel. But words are just words to Israelis. 

I was chatting with an Israeli friend and he told me the whole situation is scary and of course I agreed. He responded with "everything will always be okay and good." I commented that Israelis have a such a positive mentality and he went on to say that it is because they have someone who keeps them in the sky's. I couldn't have thought of a more calming answer! If that isn't the right mentality during a war I don't know what is! They certainly know how to deal with it after 64 years of continuous terrorist attacks.

Another thing I love about Israelis is their passion to defend the country. My American friend who moved here for her boyfriend, now fiancee, moved back home last week. After hearing what was going on in Tel Aviv today, she texted me saying her fiancee wishes he was here to help fight. This is a true Israeli - one that is willing to die for the future of his country!!! 

The following is a link to the timeline of events that happened during the second day of the Pillar of Defense Operation: 

Lyla tov Israel. I wish everyone a peaceful couple of nights...

No comments:

Post a Comment